Bloggers often ask how to get their blog listed in the major search engines.
1. Submit Directly: Submit your blog via Google’s free submitting form. http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
2. Submit your sitemap to Google. http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/
3. Submit your site to DMOZ, the Open Directory Project. Keep in mind that DMOZ is run by volunteers; therefore it may take some time before you are listed and a submission does not guarantee listing.
4. Get a Qualified Backlink: Get linked from a website that search engines crawl regularly and add your link to forum signatures. Google states, “Google’s robots jump from page to page on the web via hyperlinks, so the more sites that link to your pages, the more likely it is that we’ll find them quickly.”
5. If your blog isn’t already listed in Google’s Blog search engine, you can submit it manually. Add your blog to Google’s Blog Search. http://blogsearch.google.com/ping
It usually takes a new website about a month before it’s fully indexed by Google. Google Blog Search indexes blogs by their site feeds, so be sure that you publish a site feed.
Keep in mind that, while Google dominates the web, it isn’t the only search engine on the web.
Yahoo Search is one of the major search engines and directories online as well, so you are going to want to submit your blog to Yahoo’s Directory. http://add.yahoo.com/fast/add?17051064
It could take eight to ten weeks before you are listed in Yahoo.
Yahoo Site Explorer allows you to explore all the web pages indexed by Yahoo Search. siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com
Submit your blog to Yahoo Site Explorer. siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit
Submit Your Feed to the Yahoo! RSS Browse-by-Topic Directory. http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/my/cgi_rss_submission
Submit your Media RSS Feed to Yahoo! Search -http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/submit?
You can submit your blog to Msn at http://search.msn.com.sg/docs/submit.aspx?FORM=WSDD
SubmitExpress.com will submit your blog free to the top 20 + Search engines.
If you don’t already have a Technorati account, sign up for one at Technorati.com and claim your blog at Technorati. Technorati is a popular weblog search engine.
Bloggertalk.net offers a list of blog directories where you can also submit your blog to increase your exposure online.
When submitting to directories, be sure to take the time to read the submission guidelines provided by each blog directory.
Getting listed in the major search engines alone doesn’t guarantee traffic. Your blog content guarantees that. Update regularly, provide interesting content and the visitors will come, as will the spider bots.